The Northern Iloilo Polytechnic State College was first known the Western Visayas Branch of the Philippine Institute of Fisheries Technology. The school is authorized in the Omnibus Bill that was enacted as Republic Act No. 687 on May 9, 1952. The school was opened on July 2, 1956.
The school was first administrated by the director of Fisheries through the superintendent of the Philippine Institute of Fisheries Technology (PIFI). Pursuant to the Reorganization Plan No. 30-A, the school together with six other Secondary Schools of Fisheries existing at the time more transferred to the Department of Education effective January 12, 1957. In 1963, with the creation of Bureau of Vocational Education by virtue of Republic Act. No. 3742. Agricultural Fishery and Trade- Technical schools were transferred from B.P.S. to the Bureau of Vocational Education.
Republic Act. No. 4349 enacted on June 19, 1965, provided for the conversion of this school to a college, otherwise known as the Western Visayas College of Fisheries.
The Estancia High School, a component school of NIPSC, was established in 1949. It was a provincial high school being funded by the provincial government of Iloilo. On June 10, 1983, President Ferdinand E. Marcos signed Batas Pambansa Blg. 500 – converting and integrating the Western Visayas College of Fisheries and Estancia High School both of which are in Estancia into a Polytechnic State College.
On August 11, 1989, President Corazon C. Aquino signed R.A. 6747 converting the Barotac Viejo National Agricultural College into a branch of NIPSC to be known as the Northern Iloilo Polytechnic State College Barotac Viejo Campus.
Today, the Northern Iloilo Polytechnic State College has six other campuses located in Ajut, Barotac Viejo, Batad, Conception, Lemery, and Sara