Research and Development (R & D) plays a significant role in the development of any country. The information and technology generated through research provide the basis for the rational management of the resources, were the view of sustaining the resources for the continued use and benefit of the people. Technological breakthroughs have directly and indirectly contributed to the improvement/enhancement of productivity and indirectly ensures economic development. It is the source of information needed for the wise planning, development and management of the country’s resources.
As a support service, research is vital to NIPSC’S effort in attaining its noble objective of uplifting the socio-economic condition of the people in the service area not only by providing them quality education but also by developing and generating technologies that can be transformed into livelihood opportunities. Its research activities will be geared towards the improvement of instruction of solving social economic problems and will provide input to policy making and will facilitate the adoption of technologies. As such NIPSC research shall aim to:
- Enhance instruction through original contribution in specialized discipline thereby encouraging students to become themselves creative, innovative and productive individuals.
- Develop and generate technologies which can be transformed into livelihood opportunities for the purpose of improving the socio-economic condition of the people in the service area of NIPSC.
- Support and enhance both instruction and extension programs of the institution.
- The Research and Development Services hopes to be the real instrument of NIPSC in attaining its noble objective of uplifting the socio-economic condition of the people in the service area by developing and generating technologies that can be transformed into livelihood opportunities.
- It intends to provide information and technology that will be the basis of the wise planning, development and management of the country’s resources.
- It intends to develop a multi-disciplinary, multi-sectorial approach to research programs that will cater the needs of the individual sector of the community.
- It intends to handle research activities geared towards the improvement of instruction, of solving social problems, providing inputs to policy making and facilitate the adoption of appropriate technologies.
The NIPSC R & D Services is committed to transform its service area into economically progressive, socially stable and ecologically sound communities through its development-oriented research programs and projects.
In an attempt to strengthen the NIPSC R & D Services, the rationale behind its development will be embedded in the concept of relevance, excellence and cooperation. While relevance and excellence are yet to be achieved due to the dearth of well-trained research manpower and operating in a meager budget, cooperation will be given a heavy premium in defining a success in the face of limited resources and capabilities.
In this context, the research programs of NIPSC shall be based on the interdisciplinary, interdepartmental and inter-agency approach. Department and agencies shall be involved in the process of conducting instructional and institutional researches and extension programs as in fisheries and socio-economic studied. The involvement of many individuals and departments is essential not only because of limited research resources but also because of the necessity to adopt a system approach to solving problem. It also become essential that the budgetary allocation and the conduct of R & D be focused on those commodities and resources that would give the greatest impact in terms of benefits to the people, and its contribution to the country’s economic development
In realizing the goals and objectives for an effective implementation of research development programs, the following strategies will have to be implemented:
- Strengthening the NIPSC R & D capabilities through training of personnel.
- Providing sufficient R & D investments.
- Establishment linkages with LGUs, NGOs, SCUs and other research institution in the region.
- Establishment of a research network system in the different departments of the college.
- Map out organized research programs instruction, extension and countryside development.
- Identify research priorities which should be integrated with regional, national, technical, technological programs and bring these to the attention of the policy making bodies.
- Initiate a system of documentation of research activities and publish research results.
- Establishing a management information system.
- Provide for regular linkage conferences among research and extension workers to relate research programs with extension programs.
- Assist each school or department formulate their respective research thrusts and priorities along the research thrusts and priorities of the State College.
- Assign and develop a core faculty with research and extension skills in each department or school of the state college who will be responsible for their respective research and extension activities to support accreditation requirements.
NIPSC RESEARCH THRUSTS AND PRIORITIES
The NIPSC Research Agenda (NISPCRA) embodies the research thrust and priorities of the college within the plan’s period. It integrates the concern of the higher education sector with the over-all developed goals of the country. The participation of various stakeholders in the identification of research thrust and priorities made the NIPSC Research Agenda more responsive to needs of the communities. It is the common which provides guidance and directions to the NIPSC researchers in the pursuit of the common goal.
Basic consideration in the preparation of the research agenda framework were; the Science and Technology Agenda of the Department of Science and technology, the National Fisheries and Aquatic Resources Research Agenda and the National Higher education Research (NHERA). The present priorities are as follows: